1131 South Forest Drive
Arlington, Virginia 22204
Telephone: (703) 671-8114
1. I am declaring my candidacy for an elected seat on the Board of Publications, (BOP). With respect to community involvement, I am a member of my local Lions Club, currently serving on its Board of Directors. I have been a member of ACB since 1973, and I quickly became immersed in ACB at the local, state and national levels. For example, I was a charter member of my local ACB chapter. I also was actively involved in efforts to organize our state affiliate in Virginia, and was elected as the charter President of that affiliate. I have served as both a member and as chairperson of ACB's Constitution and Bylaws committee, and am currently serving as a member of the national Resolutions committee. I also have been active at the leadership level in ACB's government employees' and its lawyers' special interest affiliates. I have been elected to the ACB Board of Directors as a director and subsequently as a national Vice-President. I have previously served on the BOP as an elected member, an appointed member, and as chairperson. My point in reciting these accomplishments is to demonstrate that I have a lengthy and proven record of getting things done in leadership positions. I therefore ask for your continued vote of confidence in my leadership talents by supporting my candidacy for a BOP position in the upcoming election.
4. As indicated earlier, I do have previous, relevant, valuable and useful experience as both an elected and an appointed member of the BOP, as well as having served as its chairperson. I strongly believe that this prior experience uniquely qualifies me to serve again as an elected BOP member. However, I am not just stuck in the past. Since leaving as a voting BOP member in 2007, I have, in the role of an interested observer, regularly attended the BOP's monthly telephone conference call meetings as well as having personally attended its semi-annual face to face meetings. As a consequence, I have been able to keep informed and up-to-date regarding the issues with which the BOP has been wrestling and the decisions reached on the matters before it. If elected, I intend to utilize my prior BOP experience as a tool for moving forward without repeating past mistakes in order to achieve even better future results for the BOP and its programs. My previous experience in serving on the ACB Board of Directors as a director and most particularly as a national officer have honed my leadership skills, thereby enabling me to make wise and prudent decisions under trying circumstances. I intend, if elected, to use such leadership experience for the benefit of the BOP and its programs. Therefore, I humbly ask for your support in this important upcoming election for the BOP.
5. In all candor, I have to admit that I do not have a social networking site account. However, through my attendance at virtually every BOP meeting since 2007, I have kept well-informed with respect to the BOP's ongoing discussions regarding how ACB can become a leader in the blindness community by harnessing, in a balanced and responsible manner, the power and dynamism of social networking sites. I have become keenly aware that, particularly in the case of fast breaking or time sensitive matters, the use of social networking resources is the best and most efficient way to disseminate news to ACB members and their many friends and followers. If elected, I pledge to work closely with the other voting BOP members toward fostering and enhancing ACB's capacity to utilize and benefit from the use of social networking. I want to make it crystal clear that, despite my not having a personal social networking site account, I am fully supportive of, and I will actively work to promote and enhance, ACB’s robust presence in the social media environment. Therefore, I humbly ask for your support of my candidacy in the important upcoming election for the BOP.
Candidates' pages for 2012 ACB Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Berl Colley for ACB Board of Directors
- Dan Spoone for ACB Board of Directors
- Doug Powell for ACB Board of Directors
- John McCann for ACB Board of Directors
- Ken Stewart for ACB Board of Directors
- Michael Garrett for ACB Board of Directors
- Sara Conrad for ACB Board of Directors
- Charles Hodge for ACB Board of Publications
- Denise Colley for ACB Board of Publications
- Marcia Dresser for ACB Board of Publications
- Thomas Mitchell for ACB Board of Publications