by Jeff Thom
One of the highlights of the annual ACB national convention is the presentation of the Audio Description Project awards. This article provides information on the solicitation of Audio Description Project awards nominees for 2023.
The Audio Description Project (ADP) is a wide-ranging audio description advocacy, promotion, and production initiative with goals that include:
- Building advocacy on behalf of audio description
- Offering a range of educational resources and working to establish nationally acknowledged user-focused guidelines for quality description in its various genres
- Encouraging growth of audio description, with an emphasis on the involvement of AD users/consumers, especially youth
- Disseminating information on audio description and provide general support for regional, state, and local forums
- Encouraging studies on audio description, particularly with respect to its efficacy as a technique for conveying visual images and its impact on literacy for children and others
One part of the project involves the recognition of outstanding contributions to the field of audio description.
This year’s ADP awards include a call for nominations in nine categories. There is no category for media/organizations, as we will recognize outstanding achievement for a media organization at the third annual Audio Description Gala, to be held in the fall of 2023.
- Achievement in Audio Description - Media/Individuals
- Achievement in Audio Description - Performing Arts/Organizations
- Achievement in Audio Description - Performing Arts/Individuals
- Achievement in Audio Description - Museums, Visual Art, Visitor Centers/Organizations
- Achievement in Audio Description - Museums, Visual Art, Visitor Centers/Individuals
- Achievement in Audio Description - Public Sector/Government agencies – federal, state, local
- Achievement in Audio Description - International
- Dr. Margaret Pfanstiehl Memorial Award in Audio Description - Research and Development
- Barry Levine Memorial Award for Career Achievement in Audio Description
Nominations must be received by Sunday, May 5, 2023, with winners announced during a hybrid plenary general session of the ACB conference and convention in July 2023 in Schaumburg, Ill.
Nomination material, criteria and more information, including the nomination form and where to submit your nomination, is available at https://adp.acb.org, or you can obtain this information by submitting an e-mail request to ADP Coordinator Tabitha Kenlon at [email protected].