Volume LXI March 2023 No. 9
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2023 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Say Thank You to the Special Women in Your Life, by Dan Spoone
- Learn About Continuing Education and Professional Development Hours, by Janet Dickelman
- The ACB Constitution and Bylaws Committee Wants to Hear from You, by John McCann
- Now, Therefore, Be It Resolved …, by Gabe Griffith
- Call for Nominees for the 2023 ADP Awards, by Jeff Thom
- Information Desk in 2023, by Vicky Prahin
- Time to Get Ready for the Summer Auction
- Walking in Schaumburg, by Donna Brown
- A Woman with a Purpose, by Melody Holloway
- She Puts a New Spin on ‘Get Up and Get Moving,’ by Kathy Farina
- Counting the Coins, by Maria Kristic
- Rachel Schroeder: Purpose, Possibility, and Positivity, by Debbie Grubb
- The Magic of ABLE Accounts for Our Community, submitted by Chris Bell
- I Hate Data, But Then Again …, by Jeff Thom
- Affiliate News
- In Memoriam: Donald Lee Thomson, May 25, 1931-December 1, 2022, by Natalie Barrett
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- Thirty Years Ago in the Forum
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
May 2023: TBA; deadline: March 24, 2023
June 2023: Convention; deadline: April 24, 2023
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.