Volume LI April 2013 No. 8
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Mitch Pomerantz, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: https://www.acb.org/
The Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to [email protected].
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
Copyright 2013 American Council of the BlindAll content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Due to an editing error, the wrong number was listed for the Hyatt Regency in Columbus, Ohio. The correct number to call is 1-888-421-1442. We regret the error.
In the February 2013 issue of "The ACB Braille Forum," in the article entitled "ACB Braille Forum Now Available on Newsline," there was a word missing. The official name of the service is NFB-NEWSLINE (R), which is a registered trademark owned and operated by the National Federation of the Blind. We regret the error.
Table of Contents
- ACB E-Forum, April 2013 downloads
- President's Message: A Matter of Balance by Mitch Pomerantz
- ACB'S 2013 Legislative Imperatives by Melanie Brunson
- From The ACB Treasurer: Ready, Set, Certify! by Carla Ruschival
- ACB - Exploring New Worlds: Countdown to Columbus by Janet Dickelman
- Overcoming the Age Gap by Sara Conrad
- An Update from GDUI
- Information Desk Volunteers Needed by Deb Lewis
- DKM Committee Presents the Ticketless Prize-A-Rama Giveaway
- Stride to Explore New Worlds by Donna Brown
- Have a Blast at the Exploration Party Auction
- Want to Win the $5,000 Grand Prize?
- Posting the Colors by Jenine Stanley
- Update from BANA
- How Braille Changed My Life by Jan Lavine
- Touched by Braille by Alice Jane-Marie Massa
- 2000 Holiday Wishes!
- Assistive Technology Enriches Martin Kline's Life by John M. Williams
- Making Changes for Making Change by Gayle Yarnall
- How to Build a Social Media Plan for Business by Will Burley
- What Happens When the Power Goes Out? by Martha Hoch
- Playing the Rescuer by Barbara Mattson
- Affiliate and Committee News
- Letters to the Editor
- Here and There by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
Forum Subscription Notes
You can now get "The Braille Forum" by podcast! To subscribe, go to "The Braille Forum" page on www.acb.org. If you do not yet have a podcast client, you can download one from the Forum page.
To subscribe to "The Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want To Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
For news you can use, check out the new ACB Radio News and Information Service at acbradio.org.
ACB Radio has a new and improved web site; come see for yourself at www.acbradio.org.