Volume LI (51) February 2013 No. 6
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Mitch Pomerantz, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: https://www.acb.org/
The Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to [email protected].
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
Copyright © 2013 American Council of the Blind
All content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Table of Contents
- President's Message: The Blind Divide, by Mitch Pomerantz
- ACB Braille Forum Now Available On NEWSLINE
- When Less Can Become More by Paul Edwards
- Planned Giving: A Win-Win Resolution to Consider in 2013 by Melanie Brunson
- ACB Conference and Convention -- A Week of Discovery by Janet Dickelman
- DKM First-Timer Program: A Tribute to an ACB Pioneer by Allen J. Casey
- Update on GDUI
- The ACB Holiday Auction: What a Happening!
- A Journey of the Blind in the Blind by Dan Marshall
- A Review of Peter Altschul's 'Breaking Barriers: Working and Loving While Blind' by Michael Byington
- Enjoying Your ACB Family Vacation on a Budget by Ron and Lisa Brooks
- Showoff Time at The Apollo by Ken Stewart
- Shades: The Randy Cook Story by Vincent Sobotka
- A Miraculous Moment by Cindy Van Winkle
- How to Entice Junior Members to ACB compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Using Social Media to Support the Goals and Objectives of Your ACB Affiliate and Chapter by Ronald E. Milliman
- Affiliate News
- Here and There by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
Forum Subscription Notes
To subscribe to "The Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want To Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
ACB Radio Mainstream has blindness-related news you can use. Go to http://acbradio.org/ and choose Mainstream to keep up with the talk of the blind community. Keep up with the haps when affiliates stream conventions by choosing ACB Live Event.