Hill Etiquette Panel with Claire Stanley and Swatha Nandhakumar
For a successful meeting with your members of Congress, make sure you can answer the following questions:
- What issues do you want the Congressmember to know about?
- Is there a specific piece of legislation you want to be introduced or supported?
- Has the bill been introduced yet? If so, by whom?
- Does it have bipartisan support?
- How expensive will the program be? What will it cost? (You don’t need to know an exact number here.)
- Are there constituents in the Congressmember’s jurisdiction that are impacted by the issue?
- Do you have any research or statistics to back up what you are saying?
- What committee would the bill likely be sent to?
- Are we the same as the other blindness groups they’ve spoken with? How are we different? (They conflate ACB with NFB.)
Are there any other issues the Congressmember should be aware of?