BOARD OF PUBLICATIONS
December 1, 2008
The ACB Board of Publications met via teleconference onDecember 1, 2008 at approximately 9:05pm (EST). Members present were: Paul Edwards, Jenine Stanley, Ken Stewart, Marcia Dresser and Judy Jackson. Ex Oficio members present were: Ron Milliman. ACB staff members and contractual employees present included: Sharon Lovering and Larry Turnbull.
Ken Stewart moved to accept the proposed agenda. The motion was seconded and adopted.
Marcia Dresser moved to accept the November minutes as corrected. The motion was seconded and adopted.
As everyone had not been able to review the submitted October minutes, Judy Jackson moved that their approval be postponed until the January meeting. The motion was seconded and adopted.
Web Site Task Force Report:
Paul Edwards and Jenine Stanley reported on the work of the Web Site Task force. A full report was provided to the BOP which Jenine noted she would revise somewhat and resubmit. The report covered four points.
1. need for redesign of the ACB web site to incorporate style sheets: The current plan is to use the ACB Store look as a basis for setting style parameters.
2. Style parameters: A list of element parameters was presented with reasoning behind such items as font choices.
3. Policy Changes: the task force noted that the BOP will need to engage in continuing work beyond the physical style sheets involving content placement and other issues. These policies will form the basis for others outside of the BOP to run the daily operation of the site.
4. Budget recommendation: due to the scope of work involved in redesign of the site, the task force advised the BOP recommend to the ACB Budget Committee an increase of up to five hours per week to the web master’s contracted hours for the foreseeable future.
The task force continues to work on style elements such as color and page layout. They plan to have sample pages for unveiling at the Mid Year meeting with a proposed comment period for the general public. Revisions to the web site are an ongoing project for the BOP so any style choices may change based on usability over time.
Jenine moved that the BOP carry forward the task force’s recommendation to increase the number of contracted hours for the web master to incorporate up to five additional hours per week for the foreseeable future, in order to complete redesign of the web site based on specifications developed and approved by the BOP. The motion was seconded and adopted.
The BOP undertook review and revision of the existing policy manual. Paul led the group through each section. Below are listed the sections and results of discussion and motions adopted regarding approval as well as further action needed.
Preamble: Jenine moved to adopt this section as amended. The motion was seconded and adopted.
1. Authority: Jenine moved to adopt this section as amended. The motion was seconded and adopted.
2. Scope: Ken moved to adopt this section as amended. The motion was seconded and adopted.
3. Oversight: Ken moved to adopt this section as amended. The motion was seconded and adopted.
4. Responsibilities: Ken and Jenine will work on this section for review at the January meeting.
5. Communication: Paul and Judy will work on this section for review at the January meeting.
6. Consultation: Jenine moved to remove this section and append it to Section 3: Oversight. The motion was seconded and adopted.
7. Content: Ken and Jenine will work on this section for review in January.
8. Evaluation: Jenine moved to adopt this section as amended. The motion was seconded and adopted.
9. ACB Web Site: Paul and Jenine will work on this section for review in January.
10. ACB Radio: Paul, Marcia and Larry will work on this section for review at the January meeting.
11. Awards: Paul will send corrected text and Jenine will rework this section for consistency and review at the January meeting.
Review of other remaining sections was dropped due to time constraints with remaining sections being reviewed at the January meeting.
Additional sections may be added for discussion.
Logos: Ken asked about the status of Paul’s contacts regarding placement of logos on ACB materials as per the BOP’s motion on the issue. Paul discussed this issue with Melanie Brunson and asked that Sharon provide her with the exact language of the BOP motion. Melanie, after consultation with the Minneapolis office, said that the bulk of addressing is done electronically. Paul noted that this was a process that lent itself easily to Ken’s motion and was cost effective. He will contact Melanie again on the status of the issue and provide feedback.
Chair’s Report: Paul reported that the ACB Board had favorable responses to the Bops’ recommendations for funding of ACB Radio and the Braille forum. He also reported that donations from the 2009 raffle at convention will be dedicated to the Braille forum.
The next teleconference meeting of the BOP will take place Monday, January 5, 2009 at 9:00pm EST.
The meeting was adjourned at approximately 12:10am.