The American Council of the Blind (ACB) is seeking an executive director to be based out of the organization’s Arlington, Va. office. Primary responsibilities include providing leadership and direction to ensure that ACB has the necessary resources to successfully fulfill its mission.
The executive director works with the president, board, and membership in the development of policies and strategies for the organization and holds primary responsibility for their implementation. The executive director has overall supervisory responsibility for the staff, including contractors. The executive director represents ACB in the pursuit of its mission with members, donors, media, government entities, agencies for the blind, and other organizations.
To apply, you must have:
- Demonstrated passion and ability to motivate and inspire the community about the mission of ACB in promoting independence for people who are blind or visually impaired;
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in fundraising, including grant writing and cultivation of foundations, major donors and corporate sponsors;
- Experience and ability with financial management, including the development and implementation of budgets;
- Demonstrated leadership skills and collaborative management style;
- Ability and experience in the development and implementation of strategic plans; and
- Ability and experience in the effective utilization of volunteers.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; and
- Five to seven years of experience in positions of increasing management/leadership responsibility in government or a not-for-profit organization, preferably one serving a national constituency.
Individuals interested in applying must provide the following:
- A resume;
- A cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experience qualifies you for this position;
- Three references, one of which is a previous employer; and
- One writing sample (maximum 3 pages).
All documents should be submitted as Word attachments and should be sent by e-mail to: [email protected]. Please put ATTN: Search Committee, American Council of the Blind in the subject line.
A detailed position description is available upon request.
For more information about the American Council of the Blind, visit www.acb.org.
Please feel free to share this announcement.
This position will remain open until filled. The American Council of the Blind is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive salary and benefits package.