Volume LIX December 2020 No. 6
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2020 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Happy Holidays! What We Are Thankful For This Year, by Dan Spoone
- Celebrating 10 Years of the CVAA
- Senator Markey Celebrates 10-Year Anniversary of 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act
- We’re Going Virtual Again, by Janet Dickelman
- Benefits of Audio Description In Education Contest (BADIE): Young People Who Are Blind Write Reviews of Film and Video
- Up, Up and Away! Apply to Become a 2021 Recipient of the DKM First-Timers Award, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Meetings of the ACB Board of Directors, August 27, 2020, and October 13, 2020: A Summary, by Penny Reeder
- It’s a Mini Mall Holiday, by Carla Ruschival
- Flexibility, Initiative and Collaboration: Why and How Are These Qualities Necessary?, by Arturo Espinoza
- Qualifying for Social Security Disability with Vision Loss, by Cendy Moliere
- Assistive Technology for Safe Cooking, by Beth Bakke Stenehjem
- Retaining and Reactivating Members, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Affiliate News
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- Chaplain’s Corner, by Timothy H. Burdick
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank email to [email protected], or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
Looking to stream your affiliate’s convention? Go to http://acbradio.org/affiliate-request and fill out the form at least 6 weeks in advance of the event.
ACB Radio Interactive and the Café have merged to bring you the best from both streams. Check it out at http://acbradio.org/cafe.