Volume LVII April 2019 No. 10
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2019 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- Karen Peltz Strauss Retires from the FCC, with introduction by Kim Charlson
- My First ACB Leadership Seminar, by Sheila Young
- Rochester 2019 Registration Information, by Janet Dickelman
- Introducing You to the Voters, by Ron Brooks
- Continuing Education Opportunities Abound at ACB Convention, by Carla Ruschival
- Volunteer at the Information Desk in Rochester, by Vicky Prahin
- Dream Big with the DKM First-Timers, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Spring into Action with ACB, by Kathy Brockman
- The Theme for April Is Aging, by Ron Brooks
- Alliance on Aging and Vision Loss: An Affiliate on the Rise, by Jeff Thom and Deb Cook Lewis
- House Hunting with Special Needs? Here’s What to Look for, by Patrick Young
- Ageism Robs Society of Knowledge, by Larry P. Johnson
- Who’s the Girl with the Dragon Software?, by Pinalben “Pinky” Patel
- Letter to the Editor
- Affiliate and Committee News
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- What Do You Think of the Themed Issues of ‘The ACB E-Forum?’, by Ron Brooks
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to email@example.com, or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your email address and name where indicated.
ACB Radio, the place to be with people in the know! www.acbradio.org