Volume LXII September 2023 No. 3
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2023 American Council of the Blind
Dan Spoone, Interim Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
225 Reinekers Ln., Suite 660, Alexandria, VA 22314
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Our Convention Is Really Back, by Deb Cook Lewis
- Capitol Capsules: Update on Accessible Currency, by Dan Spoone
- 2023 Conference and Convention Wrap-Up, by Janet Dickelman
- 2023 Convention Elects New Officers, Board and BOP Members, and More, by Sharon Lovering, Penny Reeder, Katie Frederick, Cachet Wells, and Cheryl Cumings
- Introducing the 2023 DKM First-Timers and JPMorgan Chase Leadership Fellows, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Congratulations to the 2023 Scholarship Winners!, by Denise Colley
- A Convention That Soared to New Heights, by Anthony Corona
- Applause to Prose and Poetry, by Annie Chiappetta, FIA President
- Let’s Get Ready for the Holiday Auction!, by Leslie Spoone
- Nationwide Credit Reporting Agencies and the American Council of the Blind Announce Updated Initiative to Provide Accessible Credit Reports
- Making My Own Luck, by Deborah Armstrong
- How to Meet the Growing Challenge of an Increasing Population of Older Americans with Vision Loss, by Larry Johnson
- My Unexpected Mentee, by Melody Holloway
- Ski for Light Hunts for the Hodag in Rhinelander, by Melinda Hollands
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
November 2023: Audio Description Project; deadline: September 25, 2023
December 2023: International Relations Committee; deadline: October 24, 2023
January 2024: theme TBA; deadline: November 20, 2023
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.