Volume LII September 2013 No. 3
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Kim Charlson, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: http://www.acb.org
The Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to [email protected].
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
American Council of the Blind
All content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Table of Contents
- ACB Braille Forum, September 2013 downloads
- President's Message: Pay It Forward in Two Ways by Kim Charlson
- Access Board Issues Report on Best Practices for Access to Prescription Drug Label Information by Melanie Brunson
- The Treaty of Marrakesh Explained by Maryann Diamond
- Brenda Dillon: Keeping Her Spirit Alive by Sara Conrad
- Readers' Memories of Brenda Dillon
- The ADA Turns 23: A Call to Action
- California Council of the Blind Sues Alameda County over Barriers to Voting
- 'Where's My Braille Forum?'
- How to Get the Most from Your Vision Rehabilitation Experience by Doug Powell
- 2013 ACB Membership Seminar compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Who Won the Apple iPad? by Dr. Ronald E. Milliman
- Blind Student Learns to Read Braille with Lips by Alexis Lai
- The Girl with Bad Eyes by Donna W. Hill
- Affiliate News
- Here and There edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
Forum Subscription Notes
You can now get "The Braille Forum" by podcast! To subscribe, go to "The Braille Forum" page on www.acb.org. If you do not yet have a podcast client, you can download one from the Forum page.
To subscribe to "The Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want To Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
Got a request? Tune in to ACB Radio interactive and ask the DJ on duty to play it for you at www.acbradio.org.
For news you can use, check out the new ACB Radio News and Information Service at acbradio.org.