Volume LXI November 2022 No. 5
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (518) 906-1820 and choose option 8. Tune in to ACB Media at www.acbmedia.org or by calling (518) 906-1820.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/acbnational.
© 2022 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- A Brief Message from the President, by Dan Spoone
- Join Us at the ACB Media Holiday Auction
- Join ACB in the Land of Lincoln, by Janet Dickelman
- Tune into the 2022 Audio Description Awards Gala
- Describing While Blind: Audio Description by Blind People, for Blind People, by Lolly Lijewski
- Audio Description Brings the Cruising Experience to Life
- ACBDA President’s Message, by Tom Tobin
- Unwrapping the Sweetness That Is the ACBDA Peer Mentor Relations Program, by Elizabeth Oleksa
- Join Us in ACB Diabetics in Action!, by Linda Oliva-McKinley
- Accessible Insulin Pumps, by Kat Hamilton
- Accessible Insulin Pump Task Force, by Veronica Elsea
- Accessibility of Tandem t:slim X2 Insulin Pump and t:connect Mobile App with Bolus Capabilities – A Step in the Right Direction!, by Patricia Maddix
- A New Lease on Life, by Jeff Bishop
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- I Remember, by Tyson Ernst
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
January 2023 (hard-copy): 2022 Year in Review; deadline: November 23rd
Due to an editing error, the cooking time information was left off the Patriotic M&M Cookie Bars (“Recipes from Our Readers,” July 2022). The sentences that were left off are: Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges. The edges will be crisp, but the center will be a little gooey.