Volume LXII July 2023 No. 1
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2023 American Council of the Blind
Dan Spoone, Interim Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
225 Reinekers Ln., Suite 660, Alexandria, VA 22314
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: New Year’s Resolutions, by Deb Cook Lewis
- Last-Minute Convention Reminders, by Janet Dickelman
- Summary of the April 25, 2023 Board Meeting, by Penny Reeder
- The Importance of Chapter and Affiliate Membership, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- What Is Accessible Transportation?, by Daveed Mandell
- A Tale of Two Ereaders: The Good News Launched by NLS, by Deborah Kendrick
- Ten Books Each Blind Person Should Read, by Frank Strong
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
September 2023: convention wrap-up issue; deadline: July 24, 2023
October 2023: employment/vocational rehabilitation/training/White Cane Safety Day; deadline: August 25, 2023
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.