Volume LXI January 2023 No. 7
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2022 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Humble and Proud to Start the New Year, by Dan Spoone
- 2022 in the Rearview Mirror, by Eric Bridges
- Holiday Auction a Big Success, by Leslie Spoone
- Announcing Our 2023 Convention Tours, by Janet Dickelman
- Call for Nominees for 2023 ACB Awards, by Carrie Muth and Koni Sims, Awards Committee Co-Chairs
- Embrace Possibilities and Opportunities: Apply to Become a 2023 Durward K. McDaniel (DKM) First-Timer, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- In Memoriam: Warren Toyama, by Don Thomson and Chris Gray
- Summary of the August and September Meetings of the ACB Board of Directors, by Penny Reeder
- Affiliate News
- How Can We Bring What We Learned at the ACB Convention Back to Our Affiliate Members, compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia Hawkins
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
March 2023: ACB Women; deadline: January 25, 2023
April 2023: theme TBA; deadline: February 24, 2023
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.