Volume LXI July 2022 No. 1
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind™ is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6200 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 155, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
© 2022 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- President’s Message: Welcome to the 2022 ACB Conference and Convention, by Dan Spoone
- Tips for Convention Attendees – Both In-Person and Virtual, by Janet Dickelman
- Thank You from the ACB Auction Committee
- Public Transportation Just Became More Accessible!, by Clark Rachfal
- Accessing ACB Information, by Katie Frederick
- Learning to Be a Better Leader through AFB’s Blind Leaders Development Program, by Danette Dixon
- Writers should reimagine roles for characters with disabilities, who have been limited to four tropes for years, by Magda Romanska
- How to Meet a Pregnant Nun, by John Buckley
- Blind student helps Pellissippi State professor ‘see’ calculus a different way
- Recipes from Our Readers
- Here and There, edited by Cynthia G. Hawkins
- High Tech Swap Shop
- Wild Figs, by Ann Chiappetta
- ACB Officers, ACB Board of Directors, ACB Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Upcoming Forum Themes and Deadlines
September: Audio Description Project; deadline: July 25th
October (E-Forum): Convention wrap-up; deadline: August 26th
November: ACB Diabetics in Action; deadline: September 23rd
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, [email protected]. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Save the Date!
Join us on November 29, 2022 at the 2nd Audio Description Awards Gala! ACB brings back the Barry Awards, celebrates industry leaders, and expands awareness on the power of audio description. And you can enjoy it from the comfort of your own home! Follow @ADAWardsGala on Twitter or visit the website for updates as the event draws near, www.adawardsgala.org.