Volume LV August 2016 No. 2
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Listen to ACB Reports by downloading the MP3 file from www.acb.org, or call (605) 475-8154 and choose option 3. Tune in to ACB Radio at www.acbradio.org or by calling (605) 475-8130.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2016 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- The ACB E-Forum, August 2016 downloads
- President’s Message: ACB Recognizes Apple for Bringing Accessibility to the Blind Community Right Out of the Box, by Kim Charlson
- In Memoriam: Winifred Downing, by Frank Welte
- The Things I Do Today, Part 3: Listening to the World, by Paul Edwards
- That Commercial Was for What?!, by Yvonne B. Garris
- A Most Unusual Encounter, by Karen Bailey
- Bullying of the Blind Intolerable, by Larry P. Johnson
- Affiliate News
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, ACB Board and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Due to an editing error, the web site listed in “Sprint Seeks Customer Input” (June 2016 E-Forum) was incorrect. The correct URL is www.sprint.com/accessnow.
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, email@example.com. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
ACB Radio Mainstream has blindness-related news you can use at www.acbradio.org/mainstream.
ACB Radio brings old-time radio drama to you 24/7 at www.acbradio.org/trove.