Vol. LII November 2013 No. 5
Published by the American Council of the Blind
The American Council of the Blind strives to increase the independence, security, equality of opportunity, and to improve quality of life for all blind and visually impaired people.
Kim Charlson, President
Melanie Brunson, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
2200 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22201
fax: (703) 465-5085
Web site: http://www.acb.org
The ACB Braille Forum (TM) is available in braille, large print, half-speed four-track cassette tape, data CD, and via e-mail. Subscription requests, address changes, and items intended for publication should be sent to Sharon Lovering at the address above, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at the number listed above.
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB via the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the "Washington Connection" toll-free at (800) 424-8666, 5 p.m. to midnight Eastern time, or read it online.
Copyright 2013 American Council of the Blind
All content created initially for use by ACB in publications, in any media on any web site domains administered by ACB, or as a broadcast or podcast on ACB Radio, archived or not, is considered to be the property of the American Council of the Blind. Creative content that appears elsewhere originally remains the property of the original copyright holder. Those responsible for creative content submitted initially to ACB are free to permit their materials to appear elsewhere with proper attribution and prior notification to the ACB national office.
Table of Contents
- ACB Braille Forum, November 2013 downloads
- President's Message: Committees Are the Strength of ACB by Kim Charlson
- Riviera Hotel and Casino Overview by Janet Dickelman
- Mardi Gras ACB Style by Jim Jirak
- Accessing the E-Forum
- Using NFB-Newsline to Access The ACB Forum by Bob Hachey
- Convention Attendees Discover New Worlds in Columbus by Sharon Lovering, Doug Powell, Denise Colley, and Ron Brooks
- 2013-2014 ACB Scholarship Winners by Michael Garrett
- Banquet Attendees Discover the Lure of the Appalachian Trail by Sharon Lovering
- How to Give More People Access to Conventions and the Information Disseminated There compiled by Ardis Bazyn
- ACB Mini Mall's November Nuggets
- Shop Amazon, Support ACB by Linda Yacks
- Shoppin' Without Droppin': The Holiday Auction Is Comin'
- Affiliate News
- Readers' Forum: The Universal English Braille Code by George Griller
- Letter to the Editor
- Here and There edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers
Forum Subscription Notes
You can now get "The Braille Forum" by podcast! To subscribe, go to "The Braille Forum" page on www.acb.org. If you do not yet have a podcast client, you can download one from the Forum page.
To subscribe to "The Braille Forum" via e-mail, go to www.acb.org/mailman/listinfo/brailleforum-L.
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, email@example.com. Give her the information, and she'll take care of the changes for you.
Keep up with the haps when affiliates stream conventions at www.acbradio.org/world.
ACB Radio Mainstream has blindness-related news you can use at www.acbradio.org/mainstream.