ACB’s membership committee has compiled a list of transportation and delivery service options which we hope will help to make life easier. This is not an exhaustive list. Please check with your state or local affiliate for other transportation or delivery services in your area.
- Uber Technologies, Inc. is a global transportation technology company headquartered in San Francisco, Calif. operating in 633 cities worldwide. It develops, markets, and operates the Uber car transportation and food delivery mobile apps. Uber provides safe, reliable rides in minutes, with no reservations required. To sign up, or to see if Uber is available in your city, go to www.uber.com.
- Lyft is a transportation network company based in San Francisco, Calif. It develops, markets and operates the Lyft car transportation mobile app. Lyft operates in approximately 300 U.S. cities, including New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Lyft provides safe, reliable transportation, and you can schedule a ride up to seven days in advance and relax knowing your ride will be there when you need it. For more information, or to sign up for this service, go to www.lyft.com.
- GoGoGrandparent offers affordable transportation for seniors, using Uber and Lyft vehicles. They charge a higher fee since they book your ride for you, and you don’t need a smartphone app. For more information or to sign up, go to www.GoGoGrandparent.com or call 1-855-464-6872.
- Some larger cities offer bus, train or taxi services.
- Obtaining rides with friends and family members or drivers for hire might also be a feasible transportation option.
Note: Many public transportation systems have discounted fares for elderly or disabled customers. When contacting a transportation service in your area, ask about reduced fares as well as other services that might be available.
- Instacart is a same-day grocery delivery service. Customers select groceries through a web application from various retailers and delivered by a personal shopper. To sign up for this service, go to www.instacart.com.
- Pink Dot is a Los Angeles-based chain of grocery stores that is known for delivering items such as groceries, deli food, cigarettes, and alcohol. The store is open 365 days a year. For more information, go to www.pinkdot.com or call 1-800-746-5368.
- Kmart offers delivery of their products to your home. For more information or to order products, visit www.kmart.com or call 1-800-732-7747.
- Vons/Safeway delivers groceries as well. It is accessible on your smartphone or online at www.safeway.com. There is an accessible link. Type in your zip code to see if they are in your area.
- Postmates delivers anything from groceries, drinks, or specific cuisines to several major cities across the United States. Go to www.postmates.com to sign up for this service and to download the Postmates app.
- Walgreens Mail Service works with your insurance plan to offer free delivery of prescriptions through the mail directly to you. Prescriptions can be ordered online, by mail, or over the telephone. For more information, visit www.walgreens.com or call 1-800-345-1985.
- Walmart, CVS and Rite-Aid Pharmacies offer prescription delivery options to qualified customers. Listed below are their respective websites and telephone numbers:
- Many retail chains deliver products ordered online. Many restaurants offer delivery services as well. Please check your local area listings for possible retail chain and restaurant delivery options.
NOTE: Some transportation and delivery services might have a disability line that you can call.
Also, some drugstores make medication labeling available in alternative formats. Be sure to ask about the availability of this service when contacting your drugstore.
We encourage affiliates and local chapters to share this list and to add other transportation and delivery services that you have found helpful in order to make this list even more beneficial to newly blinded people and seniors in your area.
The next “Membership Focus” call will be held on Monday, April 30 at 8:30 p.m. Eastern/5:30 p.m. Pacific. We will discuss the questions sent to presidents about membership: What do you consider to be your affiliate’s strongest attribute for attracting and retaining members? What do you consider the biggest challenge for your affiliate in the area of membership development and retention? If you could learn one thing that would help your affiliate to grow and strengthen its membership, what would it be?