For some time now, the leadership of ACB has been considering the possibility of hiring a development director whose primary responsibilities will be to increase and diversify ACB's revenue sources. President Pomerantz has decided that the time for consideration has passed, and the time for action has arrived. Therefore, I am now accepting applications from individuals who would be interested in working for ACB as a development director. It is our hope that we will be able to fill this position by the spring of 2008. The rest of this article will be devoted to the vacancy announcement for this position. Anyone wishing additional information should contact me at the ACB national office.
Position Description: Director of Development
The director of development will collaborate with the ACB staff and membership to design and implement fund-raising strategies that increase the organization's support from diverse sources, including individuals, corporations, and foundations. The director will report to the ACB executive director.
The director of development will:
- Collaborate with the president, executive director, and designated volunteers to plan, administer, implement, and evaluate ACB's fund-raising activities;
- Maintain a proactive, creative leadership role in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of individual, corporate, and foundation contributions;
- Provide coordination and assistance with efforts by ACB volunteers and staff to cultivate and solicit key donors;
- Collaborate with officers, directors, staff and appropriate committee chairpersons to develop an annual fund-raising plan for presentation to and approval by the board of directors;
- Identify potential sources of grant monies, and prepare grant applications;
- Provide technical assistance to volunteers seeking to design and implement sponsorship opportunities, and other fund-raising events;
- Collaborate with the president and executive director in the preparation of scripts for telemarketing campaigns, fund-raising letters, and other correspondence related to solicitation of funds;
- Conduct an evaluation of ACB's need for fund-raising software, and make recommendations based upon the findings of that evaluation to the comptroller and executive director;
- Assist accounting staff with the upgrade and maintenance of donor databases, as well as management of other records related to solicitation of funds;
- Review and update (as necessary) all efforts to recognize and thank donors to ensure that recognition is both appropriate and timely;
- Work with the executive director to prepare ACB's annual report;
- Oversee the updating of information about ACB on charitable giving web sites, as well as sites maintained by state attorneys general and the Better Business Bureau;
- Serve as staff liaison to the ACB resource development committee, the monthly monetary support committee, the direct mail campaign committee, the convention coordinating committee, and the auction committee;
- Participate in ACB board meetings, national conventions, and affiliate activities, as authorized by the executive director;
- Provide technical assistance on fund-raising matters to ACB's state and special-interest affiliates;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
Candidates must have:
- A minimum of three years of experience, either professional or voluntary, raising funds for a non-profit organization;
- Proven experience in the design and management of development programs;
- A track record of developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, volunteers, staff and donors;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Familiarity with a wide range of grant maker databases, and other corporate, foundation, and government fund-raising resources;
- Ability to both give and take direction;
- Ability to listen;
- Familiarity with assistive technology and methods for production of documents in alternate formats is preferred.
- A bachelor's degree in a related field is mandatory.
- A minimum of 30 hours of work per week will be required. Salary is dependent upon experience.
Applications must be received in the ACB national office by January 31, 2008. Please send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: Development Director Search, American Council of the Blind, 1155 15th St. N.W., Suite 1004, Washington, DC 20005, fax to (202) 467-5085, or e-mail to [email protected]
Return to Table of Contents
Return to the Braille Forum Index