Assistant Director Position Open at Austin Lighthouse - Closes Nov 1, 2017
TRAVIS ASSOCIATION FOR THE BLIND
Position Title: Assistant Director
Reports to: Executive Director
This position of assistant director will be used to bring on board an individual that should be willing and capable of eventually assuming all duties of the retiring executive director. This is a primary component of the agency’s executive director succession plan.
1. Responsible for working with the Executive Director to provide leadership, vision, direction, business discipline, and inspiration to the organization.
2. Responsible for the general management of operations, including manufacturing, employment, services, finance and administration, as assigned by the Executive Director.
3. Interpreting and implementing policy decisions and resolutions as assigned by the Executive Director; keeps Executive Director informed on those key issues.
4. Functions as a key staff liaison with the Board of Directors.
5. Responsible for learning and adapting to the philosophy of the organization and the programs, activities and services necessary to carry out that philosophy in a manner that meets the mission of the organization and needs of the consumer.
6. Works to meet goals for the organization together with the managers and supervisors of the departments; measures outcomes for effectiveness and efficiency.
7. May be assigned responsibility for all aspects of hiring, coaching, promoting, and terminating certain staff as necessary to further the goals of the organization.
8. Develop partnerships and relationships that are important to our mission and the expansion of the agency’s business.
9. Provide ongoing support to staff, consumers and volunteers who receive and provide agency services.
10. Understand and advocate for the needs of the blind, visually impaired, deaf, and other agency consumers.
11. Assist with product development efforts as assigned to meet mission requirements.
12. Assists to ensure that all activities of the organization adhere to all federal, state, local, legal and contractual requirements.
13. Assist to ensure that current and future funding relationships are managed appropriately.
14. Assist the Executive Director in establishing and implementing any fund raising efforts or special events undertaken by the agency.
15. Assist the Executive Director and CFO with developing agency’s annual budget.
16. Serve as one of the agency’s public relations liaisons.
17. Responsible for public awareness of the agency and its services within the local communities and state of Texas.
18. Maintain membership and attend meetings of various, appropriate professional and non-profit related organizations.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field required, MBA preferred, CPA certification a plus.
- Special Knowledge/Skills: Knowledge and experience in all functional areas of a business; Experience in a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) business a plus.
- Experience: Minimum of five years serving in an executive positions; Serving in a company with a $20+ million dollar budget or greater preferred.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Upper management-level staff as assigned.
- Physical: Able to effectively perform the specified duties, able to travel for business.
- Personality: outstanding leadership qualities, autonomous
- Work Schedule: Full-time, 40 hours or more per week if needed.
- Background Check & Drug Testing Required: Employment is contingent upon satisfactory background check results.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. The successful candidate in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the agency.
Accomplishments in these areas of responsibility will be the basis of the employee’s evaluation, continuation of employment and change in compensation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Or send your current resume with references to:
Human Resource Manager
Travis Association for the Blind
P.O. Box 3297
Austin, Texas 78764-3297
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
People who are blind and/or visually impaired are encouraged to apply.
Founded in 1934, Travis Association for the Blind (TAB), also known as the Austin Lighthouse, is a service oriented not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing vocational training and employment opportunities to adults who are blind, visually impaired, or deaf-blind. Meaningful work is provided by Texas State-Use & federal AbilityOne contracts to provide goods and services to governmental agency customers. Therefore, TAB operates a manufacturing facility and several distribution warehouses where most of the direct labor is performed by these blind individuals. TAB also provides counseling, technology training, and blindness related community services. TAB is an equal opportunity employer.